Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a double deep hive that must have swarmed on me this week. There were at least 12 queen cells that are all now empty. I didn't see any more capped cells.

This location brings in lots of nectar for me. I was hoping to harvest at least 1-2 supers. I put a super on 3 weeks ago but they aren't using it at all. I seeded it with a frame from the deep below hoping that would start nectar storage for this hive. No way! They just back filled the brood nest and built queen cells. No eggs yet so if there's a virgin there she hasn't started to lay yet.

Is it to late to split this hive? Since this is out of honey production now should I move it to hive production? There's 8 frames of capped brood.

Boy, all medium frames sure would have been a lot easier!

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
You have a virgin running around in there hopefully. I would stay out for at least two and a half weeks before expecting eggs. Hopefully there won't be afterswarms but nothing you can do about it now. Leave some supers on as the bees will be storing a lot of honey with no wet brood being raised. Mel Disselkoen says a hive will store 100 pounds of honey while not raising brood while raising and mating a queen. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts