Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed 2 5 frame nucs
All is good. Lots of brood and they are packing honey everywhere they can.
But the frames I got with my nucs are real messy. I’m assuming they were used as deep honey frames before because they are built out way thicker then the other frames. And I almost can’t get 10 frames into the brood box with these frames in. I’ve tried cleaning them up by scraping some of the comb off the frame but it’s not just the edges it’s the whole comb. If I put 10 frames in the combs are basically touching each other all the way. On the nuc frames are least.
I’m planning on adding honey supers next week if they have started building comb on the 9th and 10th frame.
Can I put a frame or two of the nuc frames in the honey super above the excluder and let them hatch out and then replace the frame?
Only drawn comb I have is what the bees have drawn this year and what came with the nuc.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yes, you can certainly move the thick frames to the top box (can be above excluder), the brood will hatch out and bees will use the frames for honey. Then when you harvest honey you cut the comb to the proper level and continue using the frame any way you want. Or if it is very old and dark, use it for swarm traps next season... You can slso have only 9 frames in the bottom box for now- bees can't count, as long as they have the proper space between combs they will be OK. That is if the hive is not strong enough for the second box yet.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They seem to be drawing out comb at about 2 frames per week enough to fill with honey.
I’m a little worried that they are a bit honeybound because I found the queen yesterday on the frame they had half drawn out laying eggs and all burr comb on the inner cover was packed with honey.
I did have a hive top feeder on them with 2:1 syrup in it. But I took it off because I didn’t want them to store it all where they should be using those cells for brood.
If I put a honey super full of foundation frames on with no drawn comb will they concentrate on that instead of building comb in the brood box?
Will they move stores up above the excluder once drawn comb is available in honey super?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts