Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard and read about swapping the locations of a strong hive with a weaker one to boost the lesser one. I'm not sure I understand the reasons for doing this. I mean, I'm clear that the foragers from the strong hive will return to their original location and boost the numbers of weak hive that's now sitting where the strong one used to be, but it seems to me that it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. After all, the strong hive loses its work force and, thus, its ability to put away honey. What are the reasons for doing such a swap?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Well for example, if you think the strong hive my swarm soon, after the swap they may feel differently, and they weak hive gets stronger.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Pull a couple of frames of brood and nurse bees from the strong hive and put it in the weak one. Any forgers that may be on the frames will return to their strong hive the nurse bees will soon become forgers in the weak hive plus the extra brood you placed in will really kick in that hive. Don't kill yourself switching the locations.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Bee careful HOW WEAK the hive is I have killed queens doing that :( the returning workers said hey this isnt our mom :scratch:

·
Registered
37 Posts
One way to help prevent bee mortality is to mask their scent with 1:1 syrup that has a few drops of peppermint oil. Spritz the existing, weak hive along with the transplants and it can increase acceptance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts