Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started with a wintered over nuc in late April - five frames which i sandwiched in the middle of foundation in a deep box. When they had drawn out most of this, I added two supers instead of a deep thinking I might get some honey earlier in the year and leave honey from the fall flow to them. I didn't put on an excluder feeling I wanted them to do with it what they would.

Welll, what i now have is ten full frames in the first super - the top third of each is capped honey. The bottom two thirds is beautiful, tight, uniform brood as if she laid the equivalent of seven frames in one day! The top super is being drawn out well, frames are starting to get filled and heavy, and no sign of eggs or larvae, so I put on an excluder below this, between the two supers.

My questions have to do with timing and method as to how to get a second deep on top of the bottom deep. On one hand, I would like to get some early honey off and not disrupt this process too much. On the other, I feel the queen might be running out of space and whether the term is correct or not to use here, might be honeybound in the sense that with each of the super frames above capped with a nice crescent of capped honey, she might not want to go any further up to lay if I put another deep box on top.

Regarding timing: should I wait until the top super is capped before I consider anything? Not sure, but this could be two weeks or so.

Regarding method: one idea, not without possible problems, would be to add a second deep above the present deep, take some frames of brood from the lower deep and place these directly above the brood below (the idea being to try to keep the brood close together). I could take any drawn comb and foundation I have and put these on either side of the brood, larvae and eggs. A concern I have about this is stretching out the hive too much and having more internal space that has to be kept warm (weather for the next week or so looks like more rain than sun, highs in upper sixties to low seventies, lows in the low sixties and fifties at night).

Feel like I am talking through my hat a bit here as I am such a newbie. I would appreciate any feedback to my ideas or independent (probably better) ideas.

Thanks, this is a great resource and community!

Randy

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
I think you've done your research, the plan you suggest sounds good to me. I'd wait 'till the top super is capped so you can pull it off for your table. Then I'd do just as you said, move the remaining super aside, add the deep on top of the first deep, move a couple bait frames of brood up as you said. Then put the super back on on the top. If nectar flows stay good for you, then they will more than likely fill both deeps and you might get that second super filled with honey to take by years end.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RayMarler,

Thanks. I appreciate your reply. I will watch their progress with the second super and then go from there.

Randy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts