Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you swap frames of brood from a stronger hive into a weaker? Do you need to brush off the bees or just make sure the queen is not on the frame before swapping and leave the bees in place?

·
Registered
13 Posts

What's going to happen to them? Are they going to settle down and merge with the new hive or are they all going to be killed?

(I just moved a frame of brood earlier today and left a bunch of nursery bees on there.)

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I did this very thing a few days ago and all went very well....no one got 'killed'. :)
Pick a nice warm day with sun and no wind.
I first located the queen in the strong hive and made sure to quickly remove a frame of brood and nurse bees that was not next to the frame with the queen on it. I placed the brood frame gently in a safe place for a moment. The nurse bees stay right on the brood and don't leave the frame.
Then I put an empty frame (from the weaker hive) and put it in the strong hive, on the outside of the brood area, then pushed the frames together properly.
While smoking the bees very lightly ( I heard this minimizes them smelling the newcomers as invaders), I then put the frame of brood and nurse bees gently into the weak hive, in the brood area, but in an outer position. Nobody seemed upset at the time. Then pushed all frames together and closed up.

Did not have any problem, and in the following days i did not see any bunches of dead bees out front so I don't think anyone was rubbed out.
Indeed, several days later now I do see that the two hives appear to be becoming more equal in strength and vigor.
What a great thing that we can just do such a simple thing successfully!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the input.

I am constantly amazed by what I'm learning in beekeeping. I almost have to sit on my hands in order to not be out poking around in my hives each and every day. I'm sure my bees think, "Geesh. Here comes Fumble-Fingers the Crusher yet AGAIN!"

Nothing in beekeeping seems to be particularly hard, but it all seems to be so extremely precise. I am convinced that a man who has mastered the art of beekeeping could do anything from rocket science to brain surgery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts