Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My plan this year was to winter my bees as singles. But since it was my first year beekeeping and not knowing when to start feeding and how much I chickened out and left a deep box of about 6 frames of honey some capped some not 1 frame of foundation and 3 drawn frames on the top of the brood box.
I’ve been feeding them like crazy for about a month or more now hoping they would fill the rest of the top box. But what they have done is just filled one half frame and back filled the bottom Brood box with the syrup.
now they have a full bottom box of mostly capped honey and a top box that’s not completely full.
should I swap the boxes so that the full box is on top. Since that’s where they will end up in the winter anyways?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I would not swap the boxes, but I would rearange frames. Keep all of the frames with capped brood in the bottom box and move the filled ones up I would move the empty framed down and to the outside. The bees eat up during the winter and you want as much of the stores above them as you can.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is currently no capped brood at all. Just capped honey and open nectar( sugar syrup)

·
Registered
6a 3rd yr 5 production hives 1/ 2 q resource hive
472 Posts
My 2 cents- Agree for sure on not needing to swap. I get why people are encouraging a more vertical setup by moving empty frames down. I'd consider putting in follower boards on the outside (or a construct) to take up the dead space instead of just empty frames. The idea is to keep them more snug and minimize empty space. Less to regulate and less effort. People build all kinds of clever inserts. Be sure bees can't chew through it... I would also set up an emergency feeding method just in case.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There was some Brood 2 weeks ago but most has hatched out and they are backfilling it now with syrup.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
You don't see any eggs or open brood either?

Bees store honey above the broodnest. I'm wondering if you have a queen if you don't see any brood. Maybe they swarmed from all the feeding? I dunno, I can't tell what's up from here. It's just odd that they put all the syrup/honey into the bottom box and odd that you don't see any brood at all. Those 2 things together just don't sound good to me. Hopefully I'm wrong, like I said, I can't see what's going on from here. It does sound though, like you might need to stop feeding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts