Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Zone 4 Langsthroth mostly.
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have yet to figure out when the nectar flow actually starts in SW Wisconsin... any seasoned keepers out there to help a girl out? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Not that simple. Nectar starts usually with Soft (red) Maple, sometimes the middle of March. Surplus nectar ussually with Sweet Clover twords the end of June.

What county are you in? Wisconsin can have large variations.

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
357 Posts
O'Beautiful, watch the trees and dandelions. Since beekeeping is based on locality, what works for me may not work for you. Getting in on the flow early means you have to play biologist...here in eastern NC the Red Maples are the earliest trees. The stem tips turn red and buds swell as sap begins to move up. When Maple buds open the flow is beginning but you can have a few early openings and a mile away nothing... location is key. When tree buds open your honey flow is starting. Google early budding trees for your area, ask an old bee club member. You still have several weeks but don't be late getting honey supers on. Weather permitting bees can gather a lot of pollen & nectar from early trees.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Without exact township to look at Google, no one will tell you anything meaningful.
But if you look around your own area, you should find your own answers.
It does not matter what people tell you if you are sitting in a middle of a cornfield.

As for me, I have steady flow starting the dandelion in May all way to the frost.
There is always something (unless we have a drought - then nothing).

·
Registered
Zone 4 Langsthroth mostly.
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not that simple. Nectar starts usually with Soft (red) Maple, sometimes the middle of March. Surplus nectar ussually with Sweet Clover twords the end of June.

What county are you in? Wisconsin can have large variations.

Crazy Roland
Lafayette- just north of Warren Illinois

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Down by Schulsburg, eh? You are pretty much straight west of me, We are in Dodge and Jefferson counties.

What action is it that you wish to time with a nectar flow?

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
zone 3 240 colonies
253 Posts
Down by Schulsburg, eh? You are pretty much straight west of me, We are in Dodge and Jefferson counties.

What action is it that you wish to time with a nectar flow?

Crazy Roland
I realise you weren't asking me but I do have a specific action I would like to take when the flow is over. I am in Southern Taylor County in northern Wisconsin and I would like to take a split off the honey producing colonies just as soon as the flow is over which last year was about July 7th. Our fall flow last year started in earnest on Aug. 13th and lasted until Aug. 28th. We had a 4 to 5 week dearth in between the 2 flows, would you say (and anybody else who has experience with Wisconsin flows) that is somewhat typical for my area?

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
We had a 4 to 5 week dearth in between the 2 flows, would you say (and anybody else who has experience with Wisconsin flows) that is somewhat typical for my area?
This is largely your local feature AND the ongoing weather.
I am sure I had mid-summer dearth a couple of years ago because it was a terribly dry and hot summer - just nothing really bloomed or gave anything.
And I just checked the records for 2019 - there was steady bloom here throughout the rainy summer.
Smartly designed suburbs now days actually create good forage.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
CalKal, although I am south of you in Dodge/Jefferson/Washington counties, your timing sounds atypical to me I could be wrong. Our flows typically start with the second sweet clover and Basswood, which is late late June, and peak around the 21st of July.. We USSUALY do not have a complete death, but things slow down After the Sate Fair (an old benchmark), and pick up around the middle of September with Goldenrod.

Although you can try spiting in a slow time, and we have done it in the past, it generally works much better when there is at least a moderate flow. If you split AND it shuts down, you would have to run out the feed pails in a hurry.

Crazy Roland

1 - 12 of 12 Posts