Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
don't count the Chickens before they hatch..........last year in the UK was the longest coldest winter for over 100 years which followed a wet summer leading to a massive reduction in hive numbers, some beekeepers lost their entire stock

·
Registered
374 Posts
My goal is to not buy any bees this year. I still don't have a grasp on queen rearing yet. But self sustaining is the direction I'm trying to head for.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Amen....I haven't bought bees for 6+ years but after this winter's record snow and cold I am glad I took the precaution and put my name in for a few nucs in April. I will be ecstatic if 50% make it. This is a North Dakota winter not a Fort Wayne one. I doubt if anyone in the area had their bees prepared for weeks of below 20 temps, 60 inches of snow, and nearly constant wind.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
GLOCK, don't take any of these replies to personally or to seriously. Just stick it out and keep on keeping on.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
So how many sustainable beekeeper are in the house I think I can call myself one now that I'm in my 2nd year with out buying bees and making my own queens and nucs so with 23 hives I'd say I'm not buying bee this year .:thumbsup:
So what did the bee adict spend 17,000 on? :lookout:

I hope to be sustainable now (3 colonies with live bees as of one week ago). I do have a package with queen on order to arrive in April in case I am not sustainable by beginning of April ('tis a LONG winter).

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
No sure I understand. Maybe some punctuation would help?

Not losing all is a good plan.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Guess I don't understand what oav has to do with sustainability. Think that GLOCK is breeding mites that have oav resistance? I think not.
Charlie

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I'm sure you can figure it out. Sorry I'll try to do better next time.
Why should I have to work that hard when you could use the "Edit Post" function?

I haven't paid for any bees in 10 months, does that count? :)

Mr. Sustainable Apiary, Michael Palmer buys queens every now and then I believe. So will you, some time. That doesn't make it any less sustainable. Sustainability is a loaded term. The only thing sustainable is change. Adapt or die.

·
Banned
4,229 Posts
So if I treat I can't be sustainable?
I would think keeping my bees alive would be much more sustainable then letting them die:scratch:
Uh, Glock.

It's illegal to use OA as a miticide in the U.S. . So, some other word besides 'sustainable' would apply.

I understand what you're trying to say though.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts