Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
coming to end of my first summer and found frames looking like this, I can't find similar looking frames online to tell me if it is okay or a disaster

Hope someone can diagnosis for me suspicious looking frame.jpg

thanks
Mike

·
Registered
342 Posts
Looks like plain ole capped honey to me. Looks like that in my brood frames, lighter on super foundation.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
That's typical of what I see here when feeding sugar-syrup - capped honey here is usually a much light colour. But - people tell me that they also see this with capped honey - so there you go ...

But - either way, there's nothing there to be concerned about. :)
LJ

·
Registered
342 Posts
Little John, I only see it like that on darker comb, extract the honey and it looks almost the same as honey from a purdy white frame from my supers. Not sure, but I think it is more "optical" due to comb color.

Hey, you also didn't use any cool old words like "fortnight":D Like that old school "Engrish" ( Uncle Benny Hill):D

·
Registered
585 Posts
Yep, capped honey. The wax/cappings look a little darker than a "first year" frame normally does to me, but no reason for concern.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,531 Posts
What you are seeing is called wet cappings. It is produced mainly by Caucasian (Russian) bees. I have both wet and dry cappings in my hives, but never in the same hive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts