Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New beekeeper here, near the end of my first season of beekeeping...doing well, except!

I've noticed a cyclical thing where 5-25 bees are stumbling around near the hive, apparently unable to fly until they die. I had assume it was an indication of varroa increase as the numbers of stumblers went up, and the first time I tested for mites treatment was justified. But recently the numbers were increasing again, but a sugar role showed light varroa infections. I treated with MAQs anyway, to be safe. But that night I found a bunch of bees clinging to our screen windows, attacking lights, stumbling around on the sidewalk, etc...I assumed it was reaction to the treatment, as I always have some die off, but had never seen that kind of behavior. So I did a little research and found Zombee Watch and did their test. And sure enough, little Apocephalus borealis pupae appeared after 5 days. I forgot to leave airholes, so I'm sure there would've been even more than the few I found.

Anyway, I can't find anything about how to treat or protect my hive. I'm guessing it's a tough problem, because the flies apparently infect the bees outside the hive. Any old home remedies or anything? It sounds like it's very recent that they've jumped species, so probably not, but I thought I'd check! I'm thinking clearing out and sealing off any dead bees I find will help keep them from multiplying near the hive, but other than that I'm stumped.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts