Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be. It would be nice if the clusters merge before brood rearing gets going. I think that maybe this happens more than we sometimes realize, and would explain why sometimes in our late-winter inspections we find that occasional tiny, isolated, dead golf-ball sized cluster away from the main cluster.

Most times a box wouldn't be opened this time of year so we might not ever know. I'd rather have not known, but it's an interesting observation either way...

·
Registered
760 Posts
wow - and here i thought i was loosin it - i checked my strong hive last week and found a clump of dead bees lower in the box - way away from the larger healthy cluster ?? thought that maybe they just un clustered and didnt make it back ??? i just cut them out and discarded them - but in the future i will inspect the clump to see if there is a dead queen -

would be nice to have 2 queens !!!!! mass brood!!!!

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
It's been a couple weeks? since I looked at mine, and one hive had the mother and daughter on the same side of the same frame. I'll check back sometime after the first of March and see what's up at that time.

·
Registered
668 Posts
If there are two queens, what is the best management strategy?

1. Leave them until one queen kills the other?
2. Pinch one of the queens? (although, I think this might be the worst thing to do)
3. Move one cluster into a new hive?
4. Try to maintain them as two colonies in one box?

???

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
If I were you I'd go with #4 for now, eventually #3. #2 is the worst option, and #1 you probably wouldn't go wrong with it, but it's a waste of resources. Tough question though, interested to hear what others say.

I heard in school that as many as 40% of hives have two queens in them. I'm not sure how much I believe this though, as I have only once found two queens in one hive (and I have reason to believe they were going to swarm soon, or was a supersedure of some sort).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts