Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in central Nebraska we have been having an odd year. In our area we rely mostly on alfalfa which requires a hot semi dry period to produce much honey. We make the bulk of our honey in July but we do make some in June. However we have had almost no sun, with 9 inches of rain so far this month, un heard of for our area!. To my surprise as I was checking hives today, I had two yards that had plugged out a deep super in two weeks...improbable for it to be alfalfa, and we really don't see that much a flow from the limited amounts of yellow and white sweet clover around. I am not sure where else it could have come from but man is it a nice change of pace to get some honey when we thought we were dead in the water!

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
improbable for it to be alfalfa, and we really don't see that much a flow from the limited amounts of yellow and white sweet clover around.
...well you most likely are this year. Taste minty?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hadn't tasted it yet, I'm sure it is clover it just seems like there isn't enough around here for that. mostly road ditches

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
It's a bit difficult describing honey flavor a on a written forum. Suffice it to say that someone who has raised much sweet clover honey, immediately knows not just the flavor but the consistency. And anyone who has raised basswood honey knows not only the flavor but the aroma the instant you walk into an extracting room along with, probably, the first time you smelled/ tasted it. Alfalfa honey? Its the default white honey, at least in our region.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts