Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting all these news frames together, and putting foundation and support pins in them. One manufacturer has the holes in the side bars really clean, and the pins slid right in with thumb pressure only. The other manufacturer, the holes are very rough, and you literally have to drive the support pins in with a hammer. The pins are almost $50 a pound. Actually, there is suppose to be 1000 pins, in a little bag, for this much, and it can't be more than a pound and a half. The question occurs to me, "Why not just use nails in these holes? Once the comb is built around them, they will be secure, and they will extend a whole lot further into the foundation, than the little pins." Honey has little water in it, so there should not be much rust, and I did not really want to use galvanized. Have any of you tried this? I sure don't want to take all the time necessary to stretch wire across these things. I have never experienced blow outs in the extractor, but I have never used a radial, which I am now considering. I can see how the comb might blow out of frame, when spun on a radial.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I know a guy who uses hair pins. I suppose any number of items can be used in lieu of the pins. Bifurcated rivets are what these things are really called. These are probably an item that came from the leather harness industry 100+ yrs ago to aid in foundation support. I personally feel their value is not much and either Pierco foundation or wire is far superior. I put them in the same category along with Stoller frame spacers - another worthless item to invest in IMO.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
when adding foundation sheets in very hot weather the pins help keep it from sagging and warping by supporting both sides. its really a stop-gap method for those unable/unwilling to embed cross-wires, but it has its place. good luck,mike

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I know a guy who uses hair pins.
I am following in the steps of my buddy who showed me to use Bobby Pins when building frames with foundation and they work exceptionally well. and Cheap too -- I found that the bobby pins sold at Dollar Tree seem to go into the holes better than bobby pins sold at other dollar stores.

I slide the bobby pin into the holes and over the wax. Just make sure that each end of the bobby pin has slid over the wires in the foundation. I then use a hammer to further tap the bobby in so that it is flush with the frame.

I put two bobby pins in per side for both shallows and deeps. I didn't have any problems with extraction last year.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just use a nail with a shank a bit smaller than the inside diameter of the rivet and a head about as large as the rivet and use pliers with one jaw on the head of the nail and the other on the opposite side of the frame and squeeze. (After inserting the nail with the rivet on it in the hole.) If it were too difficult, I would use a hammer and use some support on the back side of the side of the frame in which you are inserting the rivet.

Larry

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't even begin to imagine tieing cross wires and embedding them into the wax. How much time would that add to 270 frames?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
it will add a few hours for sure, but in our heat and the extraction process its worth the time. We wire deeps only, we dont bother with the mediums.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I only am doing the mediums, because that is all I extract. I have only ever used 4 frame Dadant and Root extractors, and the comb is against the wire, during spinning, and the comb never blewout. But I am thinking radial now, and am afraid the comb will blow out, without some sort of support. What have you radial users seen?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I use radials, I dont wire or pin medium frames. As long as they have attached the comb to all 4 sides inside the frame...ok to spin them.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I stopped using the commercial pins and began using bobby pins with my second hive. (Fatbeeman taught me this on one of his videos.) At worst , a gentle tap with a trim hammer sets them flush with the frame.

I've been toying with the idea of coming up with a way of making my own either by cutting and bending wire or by casting plastic pins in a mold. Anyway, a project to think about for the winter.

Wayne

·
Registered
302 Posts
This was a great thread, you can learn so much on this forum!! Im heading to the dollar general store :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I invented a great substitute. I use the same air stapler that I use to assemble frames (1/4 inch crown 1" long) With the foundation installed I coax it to a center-line and insert a staple through the side of the frame. With luck the staple will bracket the wax and neatly close around it. If you miss, add another staple. Watch your fingers.

dickm

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The stapler is amn idea, but I have been having trouble holding my frames and boxes just right, and then having the staples turn out, right through my fingers! I can just imagine what woudl happen trying to hold the wax centered and shooting the staples. haha.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts