Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this hive that Supersedured 3 times last year . I took the queens out before the new ones hatched and those queens did well the rest of the year but my not of made it through winter {lost track} any way this hive is Superseduring again and there is just now dandelions starting to pop.
I have seen drones in the hives and there are drone cells but is it not to early to make a good queen?
I have been open feeding for 3 weeks now .
The queen the hive has now looks ok and is laying well so I don't under stand this will be 4th time this has happen in this hive since last spring. Has any one ever had this problem ?
thank you.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I've had them supersede when I couldn't see an reason for it. I suspect she just doesn't smell strong enough for them.

Back when my bees were primarily Russian they would often keep a supersedure cell going. Just before it hatched they would tear it down and start another.
They've quit that a couple generations back much to my regret.
Woody Roberts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
It's not to early if you have seen drones in the hives and drone cells. I had the Russian breed of bees when they were first offered for sale, they was a little hot and having queen cups was a trait the have. Do you have old black smelly comb in the superseding hive? i had a hive like that and changed out the hive and old foundation and it fixed the problem. I have found that bees know more about what they are doing than i do.

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
I never touch a supercedure cell. That is hard to do but destroying them causes more problems. All too often the bees have a reason for doing it. Good luck with it.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>So I have this hive that Supersedured 3 times last year .

According to Nancy Ostiguy in a talk I heard in 2004 she believes the average hive supersedes 3 times a year. Sounds like you have an average hive...

> I took the queens out before the new ones hatched

Why? If the bees think she's not good enough, what makes you a better judge?

> and those queens did well the rest of the year but my not of made it through winter {lost track} any way this hive is Superseduring again and there is just now dandelions starting to pop.

And that is a problem why? The bees want a young queen, why won't you let them have one?

> I have seen drones in the hives and there are drone cells but is it not to early to make a good queen?

The bees don't seem to think so... and they are better judges of it than you and I.

> I have been open feeding for 3 weeks now .

Are you sure they aren't swarming? You've convinced them it's later in the spring than it really is...

> The queen the hive has now looks ok and is laying well so I don't under stand this will be 4th time this has happen in this hive since last spring. Has any one ever had this problem ?

I don't see it as a problem... I let them supersede... she probably is no better than she was the other 3 times they wanted to supersede her... Think of it this way. You have a hive full of addicts. They are addicted to QMP (Queen Mandibular Pheromone). This is the "drug" that keeps the bees happy and motivated and if a queen can't produce enough, they replace her. It happens to be somewhat tied to their fertility, so typically when she is failing to make enough QMP, she is failing to lay enough fertile eggs. They want to replace her. For some reason you don't want them to... Do you think there is a downside to them replacing a failing queen? Let's assume you are right and the bees are wrong (doubtful) and she is a perfectly good queen as far as laying. She still is NOT a perfectly good queen as far as QMP. Still what do you think is the downside to her being replaced?

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
I've had queens be superseded but not over and over again like you are having. If I was having that problem that you are having, I would changing the genetics in that hive to see if that helped. You might try re-queening it with a queen from different line of genes. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts