Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to check on my hives today. One should have a queen laying within a few days. No eggs but I'll be patient for another week.

The other one - first frame I took out had a nicely opened cell, swung open like a hinged lid. Found two others broken in from the sides. Great. Checked on the last two. Workers perched tightly on each of them, neither one damaged.

Are they protecting those two cells? Any idea why? Should I be concerned?

Unrelated question - other hive has no brood, no foul smell, but the cappings on some honey cells look sunken in. I opened a bunch of the "sunken" cappings. They didn't smell bad, didn't have anything but cured honey in them, but it sure looks disturbing.

Is this normal? My bee books don't say anything about it.

Edit - I found pictures of AFB/EFB, I think the "sunken" cells are just re-used wax cappings. Google image search is quite useful when I remember to use it...

[ May 17, 2006, 01:35 AM: Message edited by: xC0000005 ]

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Are they protecting those two cells? Any idea why? Should I be concerned?

Sometimes they protect the other queen cells from the new queen until they are convinced she is acceptable. I've seen this in my observation hive with emergency queens before.

>Unrelated question - other hive has no brood, no foul smell, but the cappings on some honey cells look sunken in.

Honey cells are inrelevant to diagnosing disease. Brood cells are the issue.

> I opened a bunch of the "sunken" cappings. They didn't smell bad, didn't have anything but cured honey in them, but it sure looks disturbing.

They may have just shaped them that way. If the cappings are pireced it's because they are opening them up to use them.

>Is this normal?

Yes.

> My bee books don't say anything about it.

Your bee books don't mention most of what goes on in a beehive in enough detail to recognize it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts