Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing an inspection on a hive today and the brood pattern was shotty and the hive is a little weak. I had intended on killing her and put a queen cell in tomorrow. Then I noticed a supersedure cell that was almost capped. Should I let them raise this queen or should I knock down this cell and kill the queen? Then put one of my grafted queen cells in? I found her and marked her so I could find her when I make a decision. It would be interesting to see if they kill her or if she hangs around for a while. I just can't decide what to do.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
There is a possible advantage to leaving it alone. You might get a mother daughter team laying together. The hive will grow fast.
Its not uncommon to have that happen.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought I would give an update on this situation. This is currently my strongest hive. I have not inspected since the last post to see if the marked queen is still there. By now I'm assuming she's gone.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
It seems to me that the ability to detect a failing queen and replace her themselves is one I want to perpetuate. So I would leave the cell and let them raise her. They are doing what they should have done, and I would let them. If they were not rearing a queen, then I would have given them a queen cell from another source.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts