Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen this before? A seemingly supersedure cell (is that what it is?) on an empty foundation? Could there possibly be an egg/larvae in there? On a foundation that has not been drawn out? I am a 2nd year beekeeper, so all these spring hive shenanigans are new to me. Long story short, I found swarm cells during my first spring inspection. I didn't know what they were at first & tore them down, but after some research, I realized what they were and added space. They rebuilt more swarm cells AND what appeared to be 1 supersedure cell on a frame with empty foundation. I figured the bees knew what they were doing, so I decided to let the bees continue on course with making a new queen, but I split the hive into two & put the old.queen in the new hive with all the goods. After the split, the bees in the first hive built out this "supersedure" cell into whatever that thing is now (in the 2nd picture) and, unlike the first time I saw it, it was covered in bees (I blew them out of the way to get a picture), but still no comb on the rest of the foundation. After the split, they also built 4 normal looking queen cells (all capped) on other brood frames. [The swarm cells had all been torn down by the bees, phew!] So, I'm just wondering what the heck is this and is there a developing queen in it? Could there possibly be? Thank you for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Your description is a bit confusing.
The first picture is just burr comb,typical on plastic foundation.Just scrape it off when seen.
The 2nd looks like the bees tried to make emergency Q cells on the burr comb.
Tear the side open on one of those cells to see what is inside.
If there is no Q in this hive ,any eggs will be male.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,379 Posts
the second pic from 3-23 has 4 or 5 Q cells started.
supercedure cells are generally 3 or less, so if you have a couple more with these 4 then it looks to be swarm mode.

you did find the old queen so any started pre moving her could be viable. IF there are drones there you may get a mated queen.
You do not show in profile where you are.

keep an eye on both hives, you may need to recombine.

GG

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. The "emergency queen cells" on the burr comb were built after I took the queen out of this hive, so I don't think they are viable, BUT there are 4 normal looking queen cells made from eggs I left in the hive from the original queen. There are both drone and worker brood in the hive. I am not great yet at deciphering between actual workers and drones (after hatched out), but I'm fairly certain there are some drones in the hive. Thank you for the advice. I will keep a close eye on them.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
I am guessing the bees built a little bit of fin comb on the plastic foundation (common) and the old queen had laid eggs in it. Then when you removed the queen, they build a few emergency cells with those eggs. Assuming of course these are pictures of the same frame taken days apart as the time stamp would indicate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts