Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checked one of my strongest hives and found 10 - 15 queen cells. I cleaned most of them out but time was not on my side. Hive has two brood boxes, 2 honey supers and loaded with bees. I had a problem with cells being built between the bottoms of the frames. This hive has been really strong but seems to have slowed down. I also found that the two outer frames of the broad boxes were full of capped honey.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Makes you some splits:D:D.....thats what i did.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was wondering if it would be good to split a first year hive, also found a new queen but lost track of her. Guess nature will sort it out.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
10-15 queen cells on the bottoms of frames in a strong hive are swarm cells, not supercedure cells.

It sounds like you are about 3 weeks too late.

·
Registered
99 Posts
"This hive has been really strong but seems to have slowed down". they may have already swarmed. Stop stop stop removing queen cells.

It is easy to make them hopelessly queenless by removing their only chance of replacing the queen that left with the swarm.

Burn any books you have that suggest cutting queen cells. It is truly terrible advice.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Stop stop stop removing queen cells.
Burn any books you have that suggest cutting queen cells. It is truly terrible advice.
Or at the very least be certain you have a laying queen before cutting out cells. You should see eggs and the queen.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I'm guessing some of the swarm cells you found had probably emerged, and the hive has probably swarmed a couple of times. I try to look at each swarm cell so I can get a pretty good idea a where the hive is in terms of it's "swarming activity". By identying brood age, egg inventory, and swarm cell status one can get a very good assessment of the colony. Don't ignore the evidence which exists inside the hive. If I was faced with the same circumstances as the initial poster, I would have split the hive into as many five frame nucs as possible and readied them for next springs honey flow. I try to stay in the hives more in late April, obtaining a guage on hives that are likely to swarm.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I have a 2 month old package, that's threatening to swarm.
They had 8 drawn frames, & 12 new plastic frames.

OHB, NWC package. What a laying queen she is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts