Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen this question asked before so this is my situation. I have about 12 hives and about a month coming out of winter, most of my hives supersede the queen and then 30 days later supersede her again. Sometimes during the summer some of the hives supersede again. Anyone have ideas why this happens so often?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its possible myrdale but the hives are not over populated and it some times happens again 30 days later. I don't see any swarm cells but 3 or 4 queen cells on the face of the frame. Its not just one hive but many. I

·
Registered
138 Posts
How are the brood patterns looking? Lots of misplaced drone cells? I wouldn't be surprised if you're seeing very poor mating and the worker bees can tell.
I would try and move some of the hives with cells out of your area and into an area 3-5 miles away just for mating flights. If it's not this, it might be better to buy mated queens and look hard at your comb(age), IPM practices.
Any fellow keepers in your area having the same experience?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm not really sure why your bees are doing this but I always trust my bees to do what they need to do. As mr. Bush said let bees be bees.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If it's a problem that the bees can't fix, isn't it prudent to understand and identify and remedy it? Otherwise you could be facing this situation every year.
I would rather learn through these experiences, than take the word of others with the attitude that the bees know best. Just my two cents 😂

·
Registered
186 Posts
Lots of variables that we don't know. However, you may be dealing with a scenario that I currently have finishing up in my observation hive and had it play out pretty similar last year. Here's the short version of last year. The bees were preparing to swarm (location on frame doesn't mean a whole lot. With 4 cells it could very well be swarming.) and had capped queen cells but the queen didn't want to leave. Even when virgins started piping inside their cells, she still wouldn't leave. Finally, the swarm was in the process of leaving the hive when a virgin escaped and killed the queen. They settled back down and slowly returned to the hive by the next morning. Some virgins battled it out, but they were still holding virgins in their cells. A queen got mated and was about to start laying when another virgin got loose and killed her. The virgin that finally won out got slightly stung by a worker in the chaos that occurred when she tried to kill a virgin inside a cell. So, she wasn't laying well when she did start laying and they raised a supersedure cell. That's the short version. A lot more took place.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,522 Posts
try a couple queens from somewhere else.

there could be lots of reasons, see if another source of bees behaves the same, if yes look at comb contamination, site issues, if no something is off in the bees themselves.

could move 1/3 of the hives to somewhere else to see if they do the same thing.

IMO you have insufficient data to nail it the first go.

try a couple things and see what changes the outcome.

GG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts