Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I store my supers in plastic bags with moth balls and I need to use them quick. Always had plenty of time to air them out and never had any problems. Is it good enough to air until there is no odor or best to leave them two or three days? I have cleaned any moth ball residue off the supers. I took them out of the bags this evening and would like to put them on the hives tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
It sould be noted that "moth balls" are not recommended while "moth crystals" are the norm. Paradichlorobenzene is what is preferred for drawn comb. This is what I use, normally I leave them to air out over 24 hours but there have been times I was unable to do so and pulled them from storage, let them air out for a few hours with a "windy" trailer ride to bees and all was fine. You should be fine to put them on tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I plan on trying some of the BT this year, thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Bee Happy If you use anything with Paradichlorobenzene in it you will have residues in your honey for many years.

It's illegal here in NZ to use this chemical and all honey is tested for it.

Kiwi:D

·
Premium Member
12,000 Posts
I've posted this before, but bears repeating here. User beware.

http://www.beesource.com/point-of-v...otection-of-honey-combs-from-wax-moth-damage/

----
Contamination of wax and honey by paradichiorobenzene (PDCB)
PDCB is a highly volatile and lipophilic (easily soluble in fat and wax) substance. Beeswax can take up this material and a part of it may later migrate into honey. Honey analyses from Germany and Austria show that PDCB residues in honey are not rare. This applies to native as well as imported honeys.

Even when measured values pose no problems as far as human toxicology is concerned (an experiment on carcinogenic effects is ongoing), the reputation of honey as one of the last natural products may be damaged in the eyes of the public. Therefore, all beekeepers who are concerned about the quality of bee products are advised not to use PDCB and it is recommended that alternative control strategies be employed.

-Paradichlorobenzene in wax
The amount of PDCB stored in wax depends on the duration of exposure and the wax surface area. Foundation takes up PDCB more quickly than wax as a block (table 1). Wax takes up PDCB like a sponge. The more PDCB crystals are added to combs and the longer PDCB acts on the combs, the higher the substance stored in the wax.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Moth "balls" can be purchased as paradichlorobenzene (PDB) as well as naptha. You can find PDB moth balls locally at the "dollar" stores. But when you see the box of moth balls, be sure and read the label. Both are sold in those blue boxes with the celephane window. Both look and smell the same to you and me, but the differnence to the bees is critical.

I think is stands to reason to never use naptha moth balls, but I'm not crazy about the PDB odor.

My personal preference is the Xen Teri, a B.t. biological insecticide, as sold by Sundance on beesource.

When I used to use the PDB moth crystals, I could never air them out sufficiently to get rid of the smell. Even after a week in straight sunshine, they still stunk. However, once I went to extract, I did not notice any residual odor, but giving it a simple sniff test does not mean residues are totall gone.

Xen Teri is my answer.

Grant
Jackson, MO www.maxhoney.homestead.com

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I dont smell it in my stored supers after they air for a few hours. I however store a little differently, most I think stack 5 or so supers placing the PDB on top of the stack then seal the stack top to bottom, very concentrated in a small sealed area. We have a sealed room we stack our supers in and open the PDB. Yes it fumes the room and circulates through the supers but I dont think we get quite the concentration that sealed stacks of 5 supers get with the PDB within the stack. That being said I am always looking for alternatives and would like to try the BT this year.

·
Registered
374 Posts
is there some kind of dried plant you can put in a bag of (hopefully) sealed supers to try and prevent wax months? Like spearmint/peppermint?

As in,
1) place super in bag with peppermint. close bag
2) place bag in freezer for 3 days
3) place that bag in side of another bag.
4) throw in corner.

Would the peppermint make any difference?

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
is there some kind of dried plant you can put in a bag of (hopefully) sealed supers to try and prevent wax months? Like spearmint/peppermint?
I doubt it. You should look in the for sale section and order some Bt from Sundance. It's pretty cheap and works great. His small 1 pound bag would last someone with a few hives a long time.

Bt is organic and approved in organic farming. If anyone was concerned about that.

(I'll bump Sundance's thread in the for sale section to make it easy to find)

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
They are the same thing.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Here is what I did. I am sure some do it different some do it the same.

Mixed it up per instructions.
Sat out all the frames I wanted to spray. Frames still in the boxes.
Stuck the nozzel between frames and started spraying bottom to top. One time bottom up left and then then again angled right. My boxes were 9 frames. Couple were 8.
Checked a few frames per box and they were all sprayed well.
Since comb is built at a 3 degree up angle I flip all the boxes over to drain the excess and let dry.

Ready to use once dry. I did mine late in the year. I will spray mine when I am ready to put them up for storage. That could be in the middle of the year from a robbing dead out. Or honey supers after extraction and clean up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts