Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, are the "common" sized honey supers considered mediums or shallows?

I will be installing some bees tomorrow into a super(medium/shallow) of 10 drawn frames from last year. I assume that although there are 10 already drawn frames, I still only install into 1 box?? Nothing special to do either???Thanks, juzzer

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Medium super is 6 5/8" That is what I use for everything. Install into one box and add as needed.

·
Registered
213 Posts
any size can be a super (superimposed) is why they call them supers , any size can be a hive body (brood). Supers are any thing that goes on a hive body. I use all mediums, which ones would you call supers ? ..............Pete N3SKI

·
Registered
309 Posts
like hambone said you probably want mediums that are 6 5/8. There are shallows that you might be able to use, but I don't think that is very common because the shallows are so, well,... shallow :)

I am running all mediums in 10 frame set up as well.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>First off, are the "common" sized honey supers considered mediums or shallows?

Both are common. Mediums are probably the most common judging by the range of plastic foundation etc available for them compared to shallows. A medium box is 6 5/8". A shallow box is between 5 3/4" and 5 11/16".

>I will be installing some bees tomorrow into a super(medium/shallow) of 10 drawn frames from last year. I assume that although there are 10 already drawn frames, I still only install into 1 box?? Nothing special to do either???

Yes, install them in only one box. Add the next when the bees have occupied 8 of the 10 drawn combs with stored nectar/pollen/honey and brood.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts