Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 22 hives and they are mostly all pretty full in 2 deep boxes. I have added 1 super to the top of several hives separated by a queen excluder. After several weeks the bees are not working much in the third box any suggestions on getting them to draw comb on the third deck?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Take off the queen excluder for one. I have used them don't get me wrong but I have never had luck with the bees drawing comb with excluders on. Especially this time of year. You can also encourage comb building by lots of feeding.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
RA, I did the same thing with same results. I then took the excluder off until they started building comb.....then added the excluder. (be sure the queen is downstairs when you add the excluder). :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks DJ an Tim I will try taking the excluders off until they draw the comb. I'm thinking they might be more apt to few during the fall flow as well

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have no queen excluders on my hives. My two strongest have two full suppers each I need to extract. I added one box each on these hives of comb honey supers to keep them busy till I get the rest taken off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts