Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would like to know when to put on supers in alabama.we have alot of things blooming now just dont want to miss a honey crop this year,thanks.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Not enough information yet, my friend. What is your hive configuration? Where are the bees in the boxes, and how strong is the colony? When does the flow normally start for your area, and how are things progressing this year, compared to "normal?" They may be past ready to super, or they may need other work first.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
173 Posts
lbeez, conditions, honey plants, and honey flow dates would vary WIDELY from south to north Alabama. A hobbyist can usually afford to let the bees tell him when to super. If you super before the flow starts the bees will damage the foundation ( chew holes in it - fill with drone cells or just leave empty ). Heat can damage it too. They seal the foundation at the bottom, then the heat expands it causing it to bow.
Frames gorged with glistening nectar and whitening of brace and burr comb tells you they need to be supered. Experienced beeks know when to expect a flow. Frontal passage ( weather ), cool nights, or a cold rain usually cut off the flow.
I would urge you to check them each day and super very conservatively. I know they never make any surplus in my area before 20 April. I usually give mine about two frames of foundation and 8 empty frames. If they start drawing and filling the two frames I give them two more. I never have trouble with them building "wild" comb in the empty frames if I check them every day.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this hive is a single deep that over-wintered well.removed some frames and put in foundation-less frames in there place to open up brood chamber to keep from swarming.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts