Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys -newbee here.

We installed this package in early May. Everything has been going great, no issues at all. Queen laying like a champ, we started in an 8 frame deep. It filled out decently fast, put another 8 frame deep on top of that. At my inspection on June 8, had no signs at all of overcrowding or being honeybound, and still had a fewframes left to draw out. Brood was in various stages, and plenty of eggs, though I did not lay eyes on my queen. EVerything looked good, so I closed it up.

These are from my inspection on Friday the 18th, before we had to leave out of town for the weekend. There was still 1 frame in each box left to draw out, and there were eggs in the newer drawn out sections, but I didn't see any new eggs in the original brood areas. They were being filled with honey andbee bread instead. Still didn't see my queen, and then found these in the lower box, dead center. Looks like queen cells, half way down the frame, at the bottom of a wave of comb. I'm about to go do another check, but I was trying to figure out if they are replacing our queen or if it's a swarm or what.

I also added a honey superbefore we left for the weekend. I'm going to try to see if I can get a better picture, but this was the best I could get on my own.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is there anything in the cups, or are they dry? Looks like queen cups (dry) to me, not queen cells (egg/larva in the cup). Do you see eggs or larva anywhere else in the hive?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Is this your only hive?
It sounds like your queen is Okay, since you say there are eggs. You could even pull that frame out into a nuc and use it to start another colony, if those are actual capped queen cells. It looks like one may be capped, but hard to tell.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Bees make cups like this all the time -- the only thing that really matters is if they have eggs/larvae in them as TF_beek mentioned. If all of the frames of your hive are this populated, I suspect they're thinking about swarming. If the frame was drawn out flat, swarm cells would be on the bottom of the frame, but this wave puts one of those cells in the location I would expect from a naturally drawn bit of comb. That one I would target as a potential swarm cell.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts