Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checked my hive and I’m getting quite nervous. Could not find the queen again. Already the second one this spring. Not much brood either. Is that in the pic a supercedure cell or an emergency cell. I afraid hive won’t make it. Will it help to put a brood frame out of a strong hive?

Attachments

·
Registered
512 Posts
If you can't find the queen, it is probably an emergency cell. It would be a supersedure cell if you did find the queen. Both types of cells are made in the middle of the frame (different from swarm cells). if this is the second one, it is possible that this is the bees trying to make a queen out of an unfertilized egg, and that can't ever turn out good. When in doubt, it is always a good idea to transfer eggs from a queen right colony to the queenless colony. If the bees still think something is not right with their new queen from this cell, then they can begin raising queens from fertilized eggs no problem. This is why you always have multiple hives!

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Generally speaking, that's where they make supercedure or emergency cells. But they always make them and rarely use them. Next time, look inside. If it has royal jelly (white milky substance) or larvae, it is a cell. If not, just a cup they made "just in case". Don't worry about finding the queen. Look for eggs. If you can't see them, which is not unusual, look for larvae. Keep track of empty frames so if you can't see eggs, but larvae keeps appearing, she is in there. J

1 - 4 of 4 Posts