Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I wouldn't say that it's normal behavior but it certainly isn't unheard of. In my experience, once they decide to supersede her they'll keep at it until they're done.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
If you can give the bees a frame of brood it will help their moral.
When package bees are declining in numbers they have a tendency to take out their problems on their queen
Ernie

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had a package last year do the same thing. I should have left it alone and let them requeen. I took out the queen cells and they killed her anyway. I tried to requeen and they killed the new queen in a few weeks. They made their own out of another frame of brood from another hive. They barley made it through the winter. I think I will just let them do their thing next time.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Supercedure is an inherent problem with packages. If you think about the dynamics of a package, and what the bees need to grow a broodnest...

Producer fills package on Monday. Ships on Tuesday. You receive it later in the week and install it Staurday morning. The queen is released in 2 or 3 days, and starts to lay in a day or two.

As the broodnest grows, an increasing number of young larvae must be fed. This takes an increasing number of nurse bees which are young bees. No brood will be hatching until 21 days after forst eggs were layed by the queen.

So, they reach the 2-3 week timeframe, and don't have any young bees left. All the bees from the original package are getting old and their nursing abilities are diminished. The colony gets stressed. Who do you think they blame?? And they supercede.

The fix is to add a comb of emerging brood at two weeks, or berfore. This will provide the nurse bees needed, eliminate the stress, and stop most supercedure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts