Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I understand the difference between queen cell types. I've read what I can and been applying that knowledge. (supercedure, swarm, and emergency cells).

But if you have supercedure cells, could that be in an indicator of you going into a hive too much? Could this be a cause of the bees deciding to supercede her?

I don't think I've gone into that hive much. I've tried to limit it to 1/week. But how the heck do I know what the bees are thinking you know? I just had that worry, though I doubt that could be possible. I'd only gone in there 3 times this month anyway.

Its probably other issues as the cause and there's typical reasons for this. But I wanted to see what others thought about this.

If this is possible then I want to know. Although if it is a supercedure cell (this hive has frame facing cells, but only 1) then it means I'll have to be careful because I don't want to lose that beautiful dark queen. And her hive is booming more than the others, so it seems like its a waste to lose her. But if the hive is booming then why would they have done a frame facing cell...sigh. Are supercedure procedures done by the bees typically only 1 QC also? Or could that be indicative of something else?

Is there a chance also that nuc beekeeping could have a higher supercedure rate than using a full 10 frame deep also? This hive is in a nuc style setup, 3 boxes.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,739 Posts
well going in often can have an effect, maybe she got pinched, or the bees fear of the smoke monster.

in general 3 or less is a supercedure, 4 or more is a swarm impulse.

I commented on another thread as to what I would do, not sure of the need for every week to inspect.
maybe get 4 hives and do 1 a week to get your bee fix then be at one interruption per month for each.

GG

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well going in often can have an effect, maybe she got pinched, or the bees fear of the smoke monster.

in general 3 or less is a supercedure, 4 or more is a swarm impulse.

I commented on another thread as to what I would do, not sure of the need for every week to inspect.
maybe get 4 hives and do 1 a week to get your bee fix then be at one interruption per month for each.

GG
Thank you very much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts