Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have what i think are supercedure cells in my brood. I don't have any pics but they are just the raised cells that stick out about 1/4 inch or so. not just domed cells but actuall cells that stick out. I am new (first year) and am wondering if these are supercedure cells. Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't the hive produce these when they are unhappy with queen production? I think my queen is doing good but i see probably about 15 or so cells like this per every 2 frames. Is something wrong? Should i just let the queens emerge? If i just let the emerge, won't they leave with more bees in tow? Kind of lost on this one. Any advice?:s

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
15 or so cells every 2 frames sounds like a lot for supersedure cells. Usually, you get a couple of supersedure cells here and there if they aren't happy with the queen. I just did a split and gave the new nuc a frame with three supersedure cells all next to each other like a little cluster of grapes. I think you might just be seeing capped drone brood.

Here is a link to a supersedure cell pic:

http://www.bigstockphoto.com/image-1743047/stock-photo-supersedure-cell

Here's a link to capped drone cells on a frame of mixed brood. It's harder to see but the raised domes are drone cells and the flatter ones hold workers.

http://www.beecare.com/images/Comb/Drone-Comb.jpg

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm not sure. How much bigger are the supercedure cells than the drone cells?
2 to three times bigger, plus the they turn them vertical, look alot like peanuts. According to the latest version of "Beekeeping for Dummies" (I quailify) more the 8 queen cells in a hive means a swarm staring you in the face.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2 to three times bigger, plus the they turn them vertical, look alot like peanuts. According to the latest version of "Beekeeping for Dummies" (I quailify) more the 8 queen cells in a hive means a swarm staring you in the face.
Well if thats correct i don't think they are supercedure cells. but now im curious.. I will have to check them out next time i open the hive. Does that number sound about average for drone cells?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts