Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a two week old hive (from a 5 frame nuc) and I inspected it last week and didn't notice any eggs or larva. I inspected again today and all 5 of the new frames still don't have any drawn comb yet and still no sign of eggs or larva. I know that I'm new at this, but I would think that I would be able to at least see larva. While inspecting today, I noticed 3 of what I believe is supercedure cells. They are on the top half of the frame and they have a hole in the bottom. Is it possible for a new hive to need to replace the queen? Is there any thing that I need to do, or just wait a couple weeks and see if there's eggs and larva in the hive? Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Did those cups have anything in them, as in royal jelly and larva? If so then yes apparently they are trying to supercede the queen. Totally possible. If there wasn't any capped brood anywhere in the nest, not even drone brood, i believe my first call would be to the NUC supplier to have them give me a new queen. That's why people buy a nuc instead of a package, because you get an established Laying queen with brood, and bees.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
A 5 frame Nuc should have 3 frms brood larva
One food and one drawn or being drawn

A stronger one would have all five drawn,brood, food

Your missing a lot of things
Could be your New or you got a bad deal

1 - 4 of 4 Posts