Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checked on a swarm I hived 3 1/2 weeks ago. They have about 6-7 frames with honey and capped brood. I found the queen (finally) she looked good and was able to mark her. She is also laying a good pattern. I found a frame with two QCups in the middle of the frame and one built on the very bottom of the frame itself (very nice cell I might add). They all all have larvae and are not yet capped. Is this a swarm or a supercedure? I'm thinking of making a split but I'm afraid to put the frame with the QC on the bottom in the nuc b/c I have read of others haveing problems with the depth of the nuc being shallower than their QC and crushing it. I hate to do that, its too pretty! Can I remove the old queen with a couple frames and bees and put them in the nuc? And how far away will this new nuc have to go to keep them from going back to the original hive? I can move them to the other side of our farm but I'd like to keep a closer eye on them.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Yes, you can remove the old queen to a nuc with a couple frames of brood and bees. This is pretty much a standard swarm control method. You can set the nuc right next to the original hive, the foragers will return to the old hive no matter what you do, unless you move them a few miles away. If you want to capture the foragers, just place the nuc where the original hive sat and move the old hive over a couple feet. If you give the nuc enough bees the loss of the foragers won't hurt them much and you'll have new foragers soon anyway, same with the old hive.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response! I'm gonna go gather my stuff!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts