Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2nd yr beekeeper..Have 2 hives, both survived winter. one very strong, only few frames in both deeps empty. Just added queen excluder and medium super. It has 100% drawn comb from last year. Have additional medium supers with foundation only and no drawn comb at all. I was thinking of adding additional super so they could begin to build comb... Is this a good idea?? Also, probably going to transfer a few frames with capped brood/larva to weak hive...Didn't get any honey at all last year as both queens were eventually superseded... Very exciting to see larva, capped brood, pollen and honey this early in season. I'm in Chicago.. Greatly appreciate any advice!!!!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Yes I would balance them out, especially if one is lagging because it was too small to get a good start. Excluder over a single deep could forces a swarm. Not what you want. 3/4 full is time to add more, with capped brood hive can grow fast. I would center some drawn comb in each super and add.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
to clarify..both hives have 2 deeps. Just added queen excluder and medium super to strong hive. This super has fully drawn comb. Question is-- should I add another super on top of this one as this super has no comb whatsoever..there are tons of bees everywhere!!!!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Yes, if the bees are using space give them more. Good flow and plenty of bees some add multiple empties at once. Avoid the swarm. If they are really dense and using the top super add the empty super below the drawn one. Option is to mix some of the empty & drawn frames to get them to use new.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts