Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have pretty strong hive with 2 deeps. 8 of 10 frames in top box have larvae and capped brood- ranging from 50% to 95% filled. Bottom deep still has 5 empty frames with some capped brood and pollen. Bees everywhere.... Just added queen excluder and medium super. This super has fully drawn comb. When should I add another super to this? My next super has foundation only and no comb whatsoever!! and figure it will take them some time to draw out new comb.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would recommend reversing the bottom two deeps so the one with 5 empty frames is above the one with 50-90% filled frames..Or shifting some of the brood comb down to the bottom box and lifting a few undrawn frames up....And then replace 4-5 of the fully drawn combs in the medium super with the undrawn foundation (place the undrawn foundation between the drawn comb). Once the bees fill 70-80% of the first super, add the additional box.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I would recommend reversing the bottom two deeps so the one with 5 empty frames is above the one with 50-90% filled frames..Or shifting some of the brood comb down to the bottom box and lifting a few undrawn frames up....And then replace 4-5 of the fully drawn combs in the medium super with the undrawn foundation (place the undrawn foundation between the drawn comb). Once the bees fill 70-80% of the first super, add the additional box.
Exactly what I would do at this point with that hive. Make sure you have ALL your deep frames pulled out from bottom to top as this is their brood nest. Also getting them to draw out the foundation is easier if there is already drawn comb to put the frame between.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Add the extra super sooner rather than later. The bees need extra space to dry nectar, so 3 supers full of nectar will end up with a super of capped honey. Supers in the garage are useless to the bees, and when the nectar is coming in fast, they need a place to store it while drying. If that space isn't available in the honey supers because you are waiting on capped honey, they will fill up the brood nest with nectar, and everybody knows where that leads.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have 2 brood boxes with much capped brood. I place a super on top with left over honey from winter (for spring feeding). It is still cool here, we do have a lot of trees and shrubs in bloom. I was going to remove the supers as I thought it too early to have them on. Should I just leave them on or remove them until our 'full flow'? Your thoughts are appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts