Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What effect does turning an empty super horizontally ninety degrees, such that the vertical planes of the frames of the super and the frames of the top most brood box are perpendicular, have on honey production within the super?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
"What effect ....." A lot, I would imagine. Not that I would ever consider it.

1. By definition, an empty super has no frames
2. By design the hive boxes are rectangles not squares and therefore don't stack properly if one is rotated.
3. Because they don't stack the hive would be quite drafty
4. Would likely set off robbing and the guard bees would be paranoid.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I make all my own equipment and mine are square. I guess this forum probably is not the best place to ask this question since most of the folks here only have experience with manufactured boxes.

I'll just have to try it and see for myself.

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
I have mistakenly placed my square supers on crossed to each other and also saw no decernable difference. In my area I get a lot of cross comb in the supers anyway because of the long slow flow.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have tried it on square boxes. I saw no difference.
I have mistakenly placed my square supers on crossed to each other and also saw no decernable difference. In my area I get a lot of cross comb in the supers anyway because of the long slow flow.
:thumbsup: Great! This is exactly the response I was looking for. Thanks for the prompt reply.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts