Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received an order from Dadant containing super frames 5 3/8 tall and thin surplus for the foundation. Unfortunately there was some confusion on the size of the foundation. They sent 4 3/8, when appartently I needed 4 3/4. I had to put a super on yesterday in hopes of heading off a swarm. So I installed the short foundation in the wedge top frames. Of course the founation is just shy of getting into the grooved bottom bar. Am I in trouble or will it be OK this time? I am going to crush and strain this batch since I only have one hive.

------------------
J.J.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Since its a swarm I see no problem. They are going to draw it out fine. It may be a little curved on the bottom and if you are concerned you can use a small nail or tooth pick to hold it in alignment with the grove.
Dan

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
I think I would have cut it into starter strips just because the bigger sheet will be more likely to buckle without being attached at the bottom. But if they draw it quickly it will do great.

If they wait too long and it gets too hot it may buckle. Check it in a few days and if it's buckled cut it off about 1/2" down so they don't have to follow the crooked foundation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts