Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SundAnce top entrance pollen trap that came with some equipment I bought from someone. I've seen the bottom entrance SundAnce and know they work very good. Last year I trapped my first pollen but, the SundAnce top I have didn't trap Anything. Where as the drawer style I bought from mannlake worked better than I expected. My question is... Is the top SundAnce trap supposed to have a door/board that slides up and down in the front to open the trap or bypass the trap for the bees ? Like the bottom entrance SundAnce ?
If any of you use this model please let me know. I'm still kind of confused how it works honestly.

Also, what seasons do you trap pollen ? I understand the process of one day on 3 days off minimum...but when in the year.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Re: SundAnce top pollen trap ?

tommysnare said:
I understand the process of one day on 3 days off minimum...but when in the year.
That will not work with the Sundance Top Pollen Trap. It takes longer than that for them to figure out how to navigate in and out of the trap once you put it on. You can leave it on for at least a couple of weeks, the bees will still be able to get sufficient amounts of pollen into the hive with the trap on. I add my top trap after the brood has built up fairly well in the spring, the bees have sufficient pollen stored in the hive, and there is still abundant pollen available to forage.

First thing, the colony has to have a Top Entrance "only" when using this trap. If you have a bottom entrance open they will totally ignore the top. If you haven't already, you should first switch the colony over to a top entrance and let them become fully oriented to using the top entrance before adding the trap.

·
Registered
333 Posts

I bought a sundance (top mount) a few years ago it was so poorly made I never used it( large knot fell out Of pollen drawer ,loose staples, gaps in wire ) Sent pic to the maker, said would send replacement but never did. I'm currently building 60 bottom traps my self. I built 60 traps 15 years ago have not found any other trap that works any better.

·
Registered
63 Posts

[/QUOTE] I'm currently building 60 bottom traps my self. I built 60 traps 15 years ago have not found any other trap that works any better.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like they did you a favor in not sending out a replacement. I would imagine you are building them cheaper and better. Would you be willing to share your design or plans for the traps you build?

Jim

·
Registered
5,604 Posts

Sent pic to the maker, said would send replacement but never did.
I would have gone back to the distributor that I bought the trap from, not the "maker". I'm sure the distributor would have made it right. If you never used it, and it is that poorly constructed, send it back for a replacement.

My Sundance traps are very well made. You must have received a bad apple.

·
Registered
333 Posts

The distributor ( Dadant) doesn't care how well they are made but the maker should. I make a few bee related items and I care how they are made and how they work for my customers. I will post some picture when I get back to the shop.

·
Registered
175 Posts

The distributor ( Dadant) doesn't care how well they are made but the maker should. I make a few bee related items and I care how they are made and how they work for my customers. I will post some picture when I get back to the shop.
David,
Looking forward to seeing your pics.

Why wouldn't Dadant care about the quality of a product that they represented and sold??? Ultimately, you purchased the trap from Dadant, not Sundance. If you were not pleased with the product you received, your complaint is with Dadant, after all, isn't Dadant who you sent your money to? It's up to Dadant to make it right to you, the customer, and then to take up the issue with Sundance if they deem it necessary, not you. As a distributor and someone who deals in volume, they are in a much better position to get both prompt attention and results!

·
Registered
5,604 Posts

Very good points Moots. If Dadant would have had the opportunity to make this right with David when he first received the trap, they may have had another 60 sold. I'm certain that most distributors understand the impact customer service has on "future" sales with their customers, in both a positive and negative way.

I look forward to seeing the pics as well.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

That will not work with the Sundance Top Pollen Trap. It takes longer than that for them to figure out how to navigate in and out of the trap once you put it on. You can leave it on for at least a couple of weeks, the bees will still be able to get sufficient amounts of pollen into the hive with the trap on. I add my top trap after the brood has built up fairly well in the spring, the bees have sufficient pollen stored in the hive, and there is still abundant pollen available to forage.

First thing, the colony has to have a Top Entrance "only" when using this trap. If you have a bottom entrance open they will totally ignore the top. If you haven't already, you should first switch the colony over to a top entrance and let them become fully oriented to using the top entrance before adding the trap.
soo the sundance top trap doesnt have bypass door to open and close ? ill go put on a top entrance today on a hive to get them geared up for summerish time to trap some pollen.

im thinking of making a dozen or soo bottom traps like sundance style. any plans available ay where that anyone has tried that work well ?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts

>I bought a sundance (top mount) a few years ago it was so poorly made I never used it( large knot fell out Of pollen drawer ,loose staples, gaps in wire ) Sent pic to the maker, said would send replacement but never did.

I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience. My experience has been the opposite. The Sundance traps I've bought were very well made. Lloyd Spears has always been very conscientious. He does sometimes get very busy and I would guess a follow-up would have done the trick. He usually jumps in on conversations about his traps, but this is probably a busy time right now.

·
Registered
333 Posts

image.jpg image.jpg the trap on the right is one I made 15 years ago, the one on the left is the latest prototype. in the foreground making a master pattern. The other picture is of the sundance.

·
Registered
432 Posts

I somehow missed this thread. Because of my lack of comment, one of you sent me a PM, so I am now up to date.

Tommysnare...do you have the instructions for the Top Mount? Sounds as if you might not. If you will send me your email address I will email those to you.

David...sorry for the lack of communication and support. I have no recollection of an email from you, but that is really no excuse. Please send me whatever is left of the trap you purchased from Dadant and I will immediately send you a new trap. That is standard procedure with us, but I have to say I don't think I have replaced 3 traps in more than 15 years. The knot is outrageous and the trap should never have been shipped. My email is [email protected], and our address is 1309 Rugby Road, Schenectady NY 12308.

Mike Gillmore, thanks for your kind thoughts. We try hard and it is nice to be appreciated.

Lloyd

·
Registered
175 Posts

I'm still a newbie, just a little over a year into beekeeping, and have never used a pollen trap of any kind. However, ...But I've been kicking the idea of giving it a try around in the back of my mind for quite sometime. I've long decided that if I ever did give it a try, it would be with a Sundance top mounted trap, because I've seen and admired them at bee shows. I'm glad to say, I've decided to take the dive....Ordered my Sundance at the beginning of this week and it should be delivered this afternoon. Can't wait! :D

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I somehow missed this thread. Because of my lack of comment, one of you sent me a PM, so I am now up to date.

Tommysnare...do you have the instructions for the Top Mount? Sounds as if you might not. If you will send me your email address I will email those to you.

Lloyd
Sounds Awesome to me !!!
[email protected]

btw ... any tips with getting this ross round super drawn out ? ive tried for the past couple seasons and they just dont do it.

thanks again...thats what i call service :)

·
Registered
333 Posts

Finally getting some shop time been moving bees to pollination need get them Finnished before the olives and pom's start blooming. image.jpg image.jpg

1 - 20 of 31 Posts