Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the bottom mount version of the Sundance II Pollen Trap. Is it ok to leave it on the hive all winter. The trap is in the closed position. I was going to take it off, but the bees didn’t seem to mind it, so I left it alone. The mouse guard fits right over the hive opening, so mice shouldn’t be a problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're right, it's the Sundance, not the Sundance II. When I wrote "closed position" I meant not trapping any pollen. The only downside I could come up with was that maybe the trap would be damaged by the weather, but it's painted and seems to be holding up well. The bees don't seem to mind it at all so I guess I'll leave it on and not distrub them. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I tried it just once and it was not a good idea. There is always some bee death and survivors use the occasional warm day to dispose of the bodies. The once I tried to leave the trap on the dead bees accumulated in such a pile that they blocked the exit. In the spring I still had to remove the boxes to get to the trap to clean out the dead bees.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts