Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum so forgive me if this has been discussed. I did a search but failed to come up with what I was looking for. A friend gave me a Sundance I but I have not used it. I see most people seem to be using the new top mounted version. Besides the cleaner pollen are there any other advantages to going this route. Disadvantages? Is it worth buying the Sundance II if you have a 1? Can it be used on a strong hive in late summer/fall?

Thanks for the help.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,171 Posts
If you run a bottom entrance the Sundance I will work better. If you run a top entrance, the Sundance II will work better. If you don't have a preference for top or bottom entrance and want to collect pollen, the Sundance II is cheaper and the pollen is cleaner...

I'd use what you have and see what you think.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Is it worth buying the Sundance II if you have a 1?
Not sure, since I only have the Sundance 1. At least on my hives, the pollen coming out of the 1 is pretty clean, so I wouldn't consider buying something else just to improve cleanliness of the pollen. I've had mine on since early spring. I will probably remove them soon as production has dropped lately, I want the hives to have good pollen reserves coming out of Fall.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Not sure, since I only have the Sundance 1. At least on my hives, the pollen coming out of the 1 is pretty clean, so I wouldn't consider buying something else just to improve cleanliness of the pollen. I've had mine on since early spring. I will probably remove them soon as production has dropped lately, I want the hives to have good pollen reserves coming out of Fall.
+1. The pollen from the 1 is very clean and if you have a bottom entrance, they sort out how to get in fairly quickly. It does seem to take about a week for them to really start to produce a significant amount. After that you'll want to empty it twice a week.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts