Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was informed by a professional beek, who I bought my hive from, that it should be set up in the sun as this will slow or stop SHB. Apparently, SHB like the shade. I live in Florida and it gets durn hot!
I know the girls will cool the hive, but is the stress of cooling a good tradeout to limit SHB? Or does it really matter whether it's shade or sun as far as SHB is concerned??

Thanks all!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Deep shade that is damp and moist is what SHB like - reason is that the larvea have to drop out of the hive in order to pupea - if the soil is soft and moist they can survive

if they are in the sun, harder soils they dry up and die -

if you can have your choice of location find a larger tree and use is like a sun dial -

you want sun as early as you can get it ( this is the alarm clock to get the bees to work on time)

then watch your chossen tree for a day - when the tree casts a shadow at the hottest part of your days - that is where you want the hive to be

then after the sun starts to cool in the evening the bees are able to get more work done later in to the night as the hive is still warm from the late afternoon sun

i hope i have helped you out -

also if you do get hive beetles - -think of them like mice-- you see one there is 15 that you dont!!!! so if you can trap them -- it cuts down on the ones you dont see!!!

good luck

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome! That is kinda what I was thinking... seemed to make sense, but I'm new so I wanted input before I moved the hive.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
lets see,,, stress from cooling vs. death by SHB...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right Mike! That is the dilemma. Obviously deep shade is out. But I have a big slash pine that would provide mid-day shade, but not much else. I think I can get a compromise that would not bake the hive and still be over dry sandy soil.
I just wasn't sure how much shade was too much.
Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts