Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know the difference between a Sump and a Gravity Clarifier. I have made searches and read a lot of threads, but I am not getting a clear delineation between the two. Some seem to use the terms as synonyms. Specifically:

1. How do they differ?
2. Advantages vs. Disadvantages of both.
3. Recommendations/Preferences/Experiences

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I'm not sure what a gravity clarifier is? Do you mean an unheated clarifier? I think when most people talk about a sump it is an hole cut in the floor that the honey goes into. A clarifier is normally above the floor. Both are normally heated and both serve the same purpose. Some extracting lines don't allow for the height of an above ground clarifier so they use a sump in the floor. Does that help?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure what a gravity clarifier is? Do you mean an unheated clarifier? I think when most people talk about a sump it is an hole cut in the floor that the honey goes into. A clarifier is normally above the floor. Both are normally heated and both serve the same purpose. Some extracting lines don't allow for the height of an above ground clarifier so they use a sump in the floor. Does that help?
That does help John. Thank you. I figured they basically served a similar purpose, but could not understand the difference. You solved that. I used the term "gravity" clarifier only because that is the way Maxant markets theirs. Don't know the correct term. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I feed my clarifier by gravity. And pump it out to a setting tank. Witch is where I would think the term gravity comes in play.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feed my clarifier by gravity. And pump it out to a setting tank. Witch is where I would think the term gravity comes in play.
I didn't know if the "gravity" was referring to the way in which the clarifier was fed, or to the manner in which gravity separated the honey from the trash.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts