Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all --

I've got two rocking hives out of the five I've got and I'm wondering if they can be split in the next two weeks without much drop in honey production. They've got two deeps and a medium of brood on each of them.

I suppose if I get worried about the hives being up and running before October I could feed them...I've got leftover deep frames of honey from a dead out so that'll work.

I guess, after all that, I don't know what the summertime split procedure is.

Anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
there are several ways to make splits this time of year. if you have a 2nd place you can move them and can spare the expense of ordering queens this works.i just ordered queens from a good source, then i went thru my hives and pulled good frames of brood out of the brood nest. from a really strong hive i might pull 3 frames, from good hives i pulled 2 and on the hives that are just now ready to super i pulled one. hives that are not full i left alone. you want to check the frames really well for the queen. when you find her it's great you just carefully hold on to that frame and pull what you want out of the hive, if you don't see her on a frame i don't keep looking for her after i get the frames of brood, although i do keep looking until i see eggs (my version of queenright). you take the number of frames you want to start with, put them into the middle of a deep hive body, reduce the entrance, move them 2 miles down the road, fill the frame feeder with 1/1 syrup. the next day you add a queen and leave them alone for a week.i made 3 frame nucs yesterday tomorrow i will make 4 frame nucs just to compare how they do. you won't be able to use the medium frames so i would just pull from the 2 deeps. hopefully theres something you can use there, justin

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
Everything is a gamble. A summer split has some risks and issues. For instance a walk away summer split in a dearth is much more likely to end up queenless than a split before or during the main flow. A summer split is more likely to not build up enough to winter than one earlier. But many of them do very well. I'd just keep a closer eye on them.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beessplits.htm

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Hey all --

I've got two rocking hives out of the five I've got and I'm wondering if they can be split in the next two weeks without much drop in honey production.
Unless you are close to the end of your honey flow I would say that a split larger than taking 3 frames of capped brood and bees will probably affect your honey production. An even split always has for me. Some people combine hives to increase honey production.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts