Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The goal is to overwinter some 5 frame nucs this time around. I'll be making the splits here in a few days with three frames (brood, pollen, plenty of bees, and honey). I'm also planning on feeding these nucs to encourage them to draw out two more frames between now and October. Entrances will be buckled down to a very small opening to prevent robbing. Bees are looking strong right now. Large amounts of pollen coming in and some nectar.
Opinions? Suggestions? Tips? Criticisms? Encouragement?.............anyone?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good plan to me. :) Are you allowing these nuc's to create their own queens? I'm working on about 30 of these same type of splits myself allowing them to make their own queens and they are doing awesome. Just make sure If you are allowing them to make their own that they actually do and that they get mated propperly and start laying up the place. I've found myself that they won't really start drawing comb heavily till the queen is in the house and she is laying..

·
Registered
143 Posts
Robbing has been my biggest problem, the only way I got it stopped was with robbing screens. Cutting down the entrance so only 1 bee could get through didn't help. Build you some robbing screens and put those things on there before you do any thing else. I hope you have good luck

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, I'll be introducing mated and laying queens. Glad to hear yours are doing well.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Good luck on the project. I just got done with two queenless splits and like skidmld stated, robbing is my biggest problem. Also I didn't have a screened bottom board on one of the nucs and didn't want to lock them up too tight due to the heat. Checked nucs today, saw capped brood, larvae and eggs. Nice. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I also agree with skidmld - robber screens are awful easy to make, and they work. You don't have enough time left to waste on an easily preventable problem.

As much rain as we have had so far the chances of a goldenrod flow (and getting a bit more comb built) look pretty decent - so cross your fingers. But I would want to have the nucs full of comb before Sept 1 so that the queens have somewhere to lay. I would consider stealing comb from more established hives at that point if needed, and let The bigger hives build more.

Just be prepared to combine some or rob other hives for resources in case it doesn't go as planned.

Good luck.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies and advice folks. Not much resentment, not that I care because I'd still do it anyway ;). It seems like most would give it a shot, so we will see how it goes!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I double stack the nucs and drill a vent hole in the top box, they do great!
When you double stack, do you have two queens (one in top and one in bottom)? If that's the case, how do you "separate" the queens? Excluder? One entrance for two boxes or one entrance per box?

·
Registered
150 Posts
this year i am doing the double nucs on a split 10 frame box.
Last night i went and did a check on the nucs i made up, they were all doing fine except for one.

she had completely filled the bottom four frames with brood, the 4 frame super had the two center frames covered in brood and the two outside frames loaded with honey.

So i stole two frames of brood and pumped up two slower nucs.

I made this nuc maybe 5 weeks ago. it is literally going gangbusters, actually i almost dropped the outside frame. i was not expecting the frame to weigh so much.

Gary.

·
Registered
348 Posts
it seems like this year is the never ending honey flow sour wood is still going so is clover and winged sumac has just started and yesterday i noticed a tall variety of golden rod starting to open
swarm came home from test run.jpg2.jpg picture taken a couple of weeks ago

1 - 14 of 14 Posts