Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been around 100 in these parts lately,so I've been adding water sources for the bees. I'm getting a lot of bearding out front,which I suppose is fine given the heat. They beard heavily in the late afternoon/evening,but are all inside by morning. However I'm curious if this may also be a space/crowding issue. I have two first year hives from package bees, each currently with a deep and a medium for brood. I added the medium when the deep was at about 7 frames of drawn out comb. My last check,two weeks back showed only 3 frames drawn out on one of the mediums,and 5 on the other. They seem to be keeping the brood area very narrow,but filling out the middle frames quite consistently. Should I super again,even though they don't seem to be filling the outer frames or drawing out very quickly?
For what it's worth,the frames seem to have a good pattern to them-the nice rainbow shape,with consistent brood,lots of pollen and some honey in the corners. These gals just seem a bit slow.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
If they've got space to build and room for all the bees inside and a supply of water and adequate ventilation (some kind of top vent and some kind of bottom vent) then I wouldn't worry about it. Otherwise I would take care of any of those that are m issing.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfaqs.htm#bearding

·
Registered
983 Posts
It has been 100 here in New England too. I have 4 strong colonies, 1 average colony, and 1 weak colony. I had 2 nucs that bearded all the time until in but them in thier permanent hive. All the hives never beard. I have screened bottom boards, screened inner cover, and water in feeder above the medium supers.

I am guessing my ventilation is adequate to not have them beard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts