Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I 've been at it about 6 years or so now and I'm seeing a trend when it comes to my honey production . In good years like 2019 we had more honey than thought possible rain was plentiful but not to much then in 2020 we had a hard dearth and didnt take one drop of honey off the hives so good year 400 pds and bad year zero thats with 7 hives give or take . I know planting for forage has been talked about alot but i havent seen any suggestions for Pa. zone 6a . My fields are goldenrod now and thats good for the fall flow but thinking about a good summer forage to help them through the dearth . I 'm having a hard time finding a good plant that can take dry summers and not invasive , the ones that keep popping up are Borage , Joe pye weed ( might be invasive ) mint and Autumn Joy Sedum . Are any of these a good hardy plant that could add to the summer flow .

·
Registered
618 Posts
There is some borage here and the bees work it continuously. They seem to be getting both pollen and nectar. There is not enough here for surplus but it adds to the pot. It is not invasive here even though it survives most winters.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I did a small plot of crimson clover last year just as a cover crop. Worked great as a cover crop & looked very pretty. The bees were quite fond of it as well so that was a bonus.

It blooms and dies so by fall it was gone. It may reseed but isn't known for being good at that. I'm planting more this year.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I had a small 30x30 former garden plot I planted in buckwheat that came into bloom in mid July.An easy to grow annual.This year will try Phacelia and sunflowers.
My Korean Evodia tree blooms about the same time.So many bees it sounds like a swarm!
I also have several clumps of cup plant which is a hardy perennial that bloomsmid to late summer.

1st picture Evodia 8/13 2nd cup plant 8/4 in CT Flower Plant Terrestrial plant Tree Flowering plant Flower Plant Pollinator Botany Leaf

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I will try planting a pound of borage seed its suppose to cover 1200 sq feet , im planning on plowing a section of field so the goldenrod wont compete and push it out , has anyone in Pa or a 6a zone had any experience with a plot this size.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I 've been at it about 6 years or so now and I'm seeing a trend when it comes to my honey production . In good years like 2019 we had more honey than thought possible rain was plentiful but not to much then in 2020 we had a hard dearth and didnt take one drop of honey off the hives so good year 400 pds and bad year zero thats with 7 hives give or take . I know planting for forage has been talked about alot but i havent seen any suggestions for Pa. zone 6a . My fields are goldenrod now and thats good for the fall flow but thinking about a good summer forage to help them through the dearth . I 'm having a hard time finding a good plant that can take dry summers and not invasive , the ones that keep popping up are Borage , Joe pye weed ( might be invasive ) mint and Autumn Joy Sedum . Are any of these a good hardy plant that could add to the summer flow .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello Im from Pa.zone 6, I built up to about 40 hives in the last 5 yrs and i like to plant plots and trees to help the bees out. the best crops i have found so far is buckwheat ,which i try to get two crops a year, and yellow sweet clover.White sweet clover is also excellant for bees ,but a little harder for me to get a good crop.BeeBee trees are very good as are 7 sons trees,which both bloom late. Aug-Sept. A field of sunflowers is also very attractive to bees. Good luck

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I think I will try planting a pound of borage seed its suppose to cover 1200 sq feet , im planning on plowing a section of field so the goldenrod wont compete and push it out , has anyone in Pa or a 6a zone had any experience with a plot this size.
I think you may have difficulty overcoming goldenrod by simply plowing it under.
The main method this plant uses to spread is through sending up shoots from the root system.If you don't mind herbicides,you could let it grow to 10 in or so and hit it with roundup.
There is also evidence of allelopathic tendencies of goldenrod whereby it inhibits seed germination of some plants.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts