Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm keeping two hives in northern New York in a heavily forested area - no fields and the tree blooms are done. I've been told by a couple regional bee keepers that my location may require continued feeding through the summer, but I also read that feeding should never be done once a super is added. Last year one of my hives absconded in the early fall and it seems likely that lack of stores due to a very prolonged wet and cold spring may have been a factor. They'd been treated for mites and otherwise seemed to be well. Thanks

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
I would follow the advice of experienced local beekeepers. If the tree flow is over, pull the supers and feed. You may get a goldenrod or aster flow in the fall and want to put supers back on for that but check with your local experts. After pulling supers, feed large amounts as rapidly as the bees will take it, then stop feeding until it is time to bring colonies up to wintering weight. Feeding a little at a time will make the bees think that a flow is happening and spark unneeded brood rearing.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Unless your hives swarmed you should be fine. I just added supers because of the sumac and clover. Milkweed is coming soon or its already started. Last year was an excellent year in northern NY and this year we had a slow start but its shaping up to be good. I will feed a hive in the fall if its light but never during the summer. If your not seeing nectar coming in now something isn't right.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts