Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read on here about the Sumac flow, I was just wondering if it makes good honey, and if it is of substantial value to the bees. We consider it a nusciance, i have tons of it on the farm. The young, (bushhogged last year) is starting to bloom. the older is showing no signs yet. just wonderin. Thanks. G:scratch: Copy of DSC04661.jpg
Copy of DSC04650.jpg
Copy of DSC04655.jpg

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
I think it came from Japan and is an ornamental tree there.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Makes excellent honey! It has a reddish color to it and I can sell it quicker than any other honey I have. Sells out quickly! Not always a good surplus of it.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for your replies, maybe I should pull the clover so i can see. It should be around a while, seems like usually it comes later. Thanks again. G:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We have three, or so, types of native sumac. The three I am familiar with are staghorn, dwarf and shiny. They bloom during the summer when not much else is blooming.

Shane
Yeah TS, We may have the others, but the overwhelming majority here are of the Staghorn Variety. Is yours coming into bloom yet? Always seems later to me. G

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Yeah TS, We may have the others, but the overwhelming majority here are of the Staghorn Variety. Is yours coming into bloom yet? Always seems later to me. G
Our sumac is not blooming yet. Our sumac blooms after sourwood. If memory serves me correct, late July and August is the sumac bloom time for us.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Our sumac is not blooming yet. Our sumac blooms after sourwood. If memory serves me correct, late July and August is the sumac bloom time for us.
Over here, the floral buds are out on the sumacs (Rhus typhina). I don't recall when they flower, but it's coming in a few weeks at most, I reckon.

As for the honey, I know some urban beekeepers had at least one batch that was mostly sumac, when the pollen analysis came in, though that may be somewhat misleading, as the male and female flowers of the sumac aren't on the same plant. I think they were saying good things about it.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Never seen a bee on my Staghorn, did not know they would use it.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Interesting, so mine have been holding out on me.
I wonder if I am just a little too cool for a good yield from it. Maybe I have misidentified the type of sumac, there is a stand not 20 feet from the hives.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
All the replies seem to rate sumac honey pretty highly. Ours hasn't bloomed yet and I do everything I can to get rid of it so it may not get a chance. The neighbors have plenty though. It is hard to believe that something that smells so bad can make good honey.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All the replies seem to rate sumac honey pretty highly. Ours hasn't bloomed yet and I do everything I can to get rid of it so it may not get a chance. The neighbors have plenty though. It is hard to believe that something that smells so bad can make good honey.

Yeah, like I said, we view it as an invasive pest, but there is no way to keep it in check on the whole farm. Im just glad the bees like it. I had no idea bees would use it until last year when bushhogging next to a mature stand of it I saw pollinators galore. So I kept my eyes open. Like I said, only the young plants from stuff we cut down last year are starting to bloom. Like TSMullins said, it seems it should be late july before the mature plants are blooming, or at least thats the time of year I think I recognized activity last year. G

1 - 20 of 22 Posts