Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new well at my apiary site, however, it generates sulfur water. Does anyone know if this has a negative effect on the bees if I make my spring syrup with this?

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
Welcome to Beesource!

The answer may partly depend on how much sulfur is in the water. Is the water considered potable (safe for human consumption)?

Reports are that bees like many kinds of smelly water, including swimming pool water, compost runoff, manure runoff, etc. Water with a distinct odor may be preferred by bees because it is easier for them to communicate about the water to their sisters when there is a 'smell' to the water.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is potable and is piped to a fixed building which is used for drinking, showers, etc.. The well is about 3,000 ft so there is no surface contamination to it. My concern is that sulfur has a biochemical effect on humans (production of insulin, digestion, gene expression, amino acid formation, etc.) and I'm not sure if is benefical, neutral, or toxic to a bee's system.

·
Registered
693 Posts
With the price of bottled water so cheap, I wouldn't take any chances. No telling what the honey might smell like so it's just not worth it.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
Bees do not use water to make honey. Honey is essentially dehydrated nectar. Bees often use water to dilute stored honey so they can eat it.

Potable water is fine for humans and there is no reason to think it isn't suitable for bees.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Not too many sources of bottled water for feral hives... I'm sure you'd be fine. If you can drink it, they can. I would imagine they would not drink it if it were bad for them. Most animals won't unless they have no choice but to drink or die.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I have a new well at my apiary site, however, it generates sulfur water. Does anyone know if this has a negative effect on the bees if I make my spring syrup with this?
Have the water tested for sulfate. If it is below 250 mg/L it is safe for you and safe for bees.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts