Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about putting out a local add to do swarm removal and also troublesome stuff like hornets and wasps......my question is, will a normal bee suit protect against wasp and hornet?
Thanks
Tony

·
Registered
523 Posts
For wasps & hornets imho the ONLY suitable removal gear is those new spray cans of stuff that spray bout ten feet to kill them instantly! Not EVEN interested in messing with wasps & hornets!

Lew

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol well yeah thats option A but a plan B needs to be in the wings in case plan A dont get them all :0)

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
I've been stung by honey bees through my suit and the clothing underneath- not often, but it happens- twice yesterday in fact when I was moving hives on my arm and leg. Our (my wife and I) clothing was wet and it was cold and the bees were really pissy.. of course, SHE didn't get stung at all and I got hit 5 times total- once through the netting in the back of my neck and twice on my ankle (need new rubber boots).

I guess what I'm getting at is NO, I don't think a normal bee suit would help much against angry yellow jackets and wasps- their stings are longer (I think) and not barbed. It would afford some protection, but not enough IMO.

George-

·
Registered
458 Posts
Look into a tyvek jumpsuit. They may be a little hot to wear but Ive never been stung through mine when I extract hives out of walls and such....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts