Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Currently Im with a friend in NC helping him with his hives. Ive learned and seen in the hives that beetles are a common problem to this area. He has been using beetle blasters and running 8frame hives to keep less room hospitable for beetles but we still face them. In SoCal where i keep bees i use hive stands sitting in cups of used motor oil to fight the ant problem. This works fantastic with ants and i thought possibly it could aid against beetles as well? Do beetles fly into a hive mostly?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
They fly in. The best defense is strong colonies, and use a strain of bees that are hygienic so they will remove any eggs they find.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
The beetles fly ... oil or grease cups won't stop them.

One Florida beekeeper recently reported that one of his apiaries, sitting on a large concrete pad, has about 1/10 the SHB problem his other apiaries have. The beetle larvae drop from the hive and burrow into the ground. If they hit concrete they have to crawl to soil, so likely they bake in the sun and are picked off by predators.

Another poster mentioned weedblock and gravel. I'm trying it but have no data on it. There is a flaw in the strategy of killing the larvae exiting the hives ... they've already done their damage. It should reduce the next generation but it would be far better to control the adult beetles before they lay eggs.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Keep hives strong, queenright, fed and in full sun. Prevent other stressors like robbing, mites, and disease. Throw slimed comb away.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi J T
I am a new bee keeper, watched a swarm come in on Friday afternoon. These are my only bees. The swarm settled into the trap and everything is great. The swarm box is an old deep hive body with plywood top and bottom. One inch hole for the front entrance. Set on an elevated deck 10 feet off the ground. Was watching
them at dusk last night, 2 small black beetles landed on the side of the hive and scampered into the entrance past the guard bees. No landing board on this trap. I was hoping that I would be given some grace time as far as the beetles finding us but no such luck. 24 hours is all I got. So I don't think your 1 foot stand would help any. They fly.
My question to the old bees is do the beetles follow the swarm. I know of no bee keeper within 2 miles of our farm.
Good luck
Mike

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I've had the most luck using the oil trays beneath the sbb (I even designed my own version). They seem to end up in the oil bath at a terrific rate and I rarely actually see a live one anymore. And, yes, they fly and often follow with the swarm. Also they like cantaloupe, so I gave up planting it and that seemed to help too.

HTH

Rusty

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Freeman beetle traps ... the oil tray under a SBB. I'm looking forward to finding SHB and mites drowned in them.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I second bottom traps like Freeman. You can google and find several articles by Jerry Freeman, and plans if you want to make your own. If you want to buy them they are sold by Heartwood. There are also good video presentations on youtube by Jaime Ellis and others. As posters above said, strong hives, which have the comb covered and patrolled, usually keep the hive beetles controlled.
There were threads last year here from Australia about "Chux" apparently the America version is Scotch handi-wipes. You might read those posts and try them in addition to a bottom trap.
The oil traps at the top catch some beetles but not as many as the bottom trap.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The lady who runs my local beekeeping club recommended that i install a new device called a Beetle Baffle in my new hive. Its just a set of metal shims that protrude around the inside bottom edge of the hive that prevent the beetles from crawling up into the hive body.

Im pretty much a noobee so i cant vouch for the product on my own experience, but our club speaker spoke highly of it. I got a chance to talk to the maker of the product last evening and ge seemed like a great guy. Real bee lover. He said hes updating his website with testimonials.

Im trying it, anyway, along with a bunch of other stuff already mentioned here. All i ever hear is how bad the beetles are here in Georgia.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The lady who runs my local beekeeping club recommended that i install a new device called a Beetle Baffle in my new hive. Its just a set of metal shims that protrude around the inside bottom edge of the hive that prevent the beetles from crawling up into the hive body.

Im pretty much a noobee so i cant vouch for the product on my own experience, but our club speaker spoke highly of it. I got a chance to talk to the maker of the product last evening and ge seemed like a great guy. Real bee lover. He said hes updating his website with testimonials.

Im trying it, anyway, along with a bunch of other stuff already mentioned here. All i ever hear is how bad the beetles are here in Georgia.
I wonder if this will fit on the Freeman bottom board. Seems to me the combo would be great.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Combo will work. I'm doing it. Also added a beer can trap to the rear of the hive. See the beetle baffle website for details...look for it, it's there! Uses less oil, etc... Paint the can black and cook the little darlings....Simple but effective add on to the tray and baffle. I have no beetles, no larvae, no problem.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Strong hives 100%.

During my experience in Hawaii, there would be lines of eggs under the pollen patties the next day, so if you're using patties make sure they get eaten within a day or two. I rarely saw major problems from SHB. Make sure the hive is booming before adding a super of empty combs, ESPECIALLY wet frames.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Beetle jail makes a entrance trap, the idea is to catch the beetles before they get inside your hive. The trap does make the entrance smaller however, i will try a couple this year to see how I like them. You can do a search on "Beetle jail entrance trap" on youtube to watch a video if you like. I also have a freeman trap on 1 hive and it does help.

·
Registered
93 Posts
So, does anyone know where the larva leave the hive? I am catching many in the freeman trap. Is that virtually all of them or do some exit the front of the hive?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts