Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello From Nevada!
I am in search of information on the most economical and easy way to get started with bees as a hobby. Books, Websites, plans to build my own boxes or places to purchase materials.
Any and all information is welcome!
Thanks!

·
Registered
711 Posts
On the beesource home page there is a link to plans for all types of bee stuff. The Top Bar Hives(TBH) are simple to make but have major differences in the way you take care of them from any of the books I have read.

Best book I have read is an old "The Hive and the Honeybee". I believe the updated one has good info about the mite problem as they are newer to the US than when my book was written. I have ABC and XYZ of Beekeeping. It also is an old book. It is more indepth but is not listed like you would take care of your hive. This book is like a dictionary with great info on each topic starting with the letter A and the book ends with Z. So packaging comes before supering and without supering there is no honey to package. That was the simplest thing that came to mind to tell why I did not like this book as a starter book(it was the first to arrive and was read first). After reading The Hive and the Honeybee I reread the ABC and XYZ book and got alot more info out of it. The newer type books read like school text books which I hated then and hate now. One thing you will learn is beekeeping is an art. So a text telling you each step does not work properly. You have to learn to read the bees and let them tell you what to do. The old writers told how each year and each hive acted different and how the beekeeper had to adjust management by what the hive was doing. I found this to be a great help over the do this then this of a couple of books I read from the libraries. Use your local library to sample books.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Try "Beekeeping for Dummies" by Howland Blackiston. I have many books, but that's the one I always go back to. The format in the "for dummies" books is excellent, and he knows his stuff. That being said, DO NOT buy from his website bee-commerce.com Everything on that site is marked up about 60% from the normal retail price. If you plan on having more than one hive, I would buy at least one of everything before trying to make it. It greatly simplifies, as no plans are going to cover the exact questions you will no doubt have about building. Having one to look at is well worth the cost in my opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts