Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I had 2 or 3 hives, I inspected the way I was taught by my mentor - frame by frame since I was learning, whole hive due to open brood nest (no queen excluder). Now in my 4th year of beekeeping I have 8 hives, and this really slow process doesn't make as much sense and I don't have that much time.

While I'm just a hobbyist, can some experienced beeks give me a how-to on routine hive inspections--especially during spring/swarm season? I need to speed up, but also want to manage the bees well and not miss important info from the inspection. I am also experimenting with queen excluders for this same reason.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Do what ever and how much makes sense to you. Why bother inspecting the outside combs when you are looking to access the laying pattern of your queen, she most likely isn't laying in them anyway. And while you are looking at the combs which most likely have the brood in them you keep an eye open for brood diseases, queen cups w/ eggs in them, the presence of eggs and young larvae in brood comb cells, and whatever else is important to you.

When you open each hive you may notice something which tells you more room is needed or that it is time to super up for honey production.

Do what makes the most sense to you and what you are doing w/ your bees.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both. Leather Jim - that video was great and I liked how much he pointed out could be learned about the hive just from looking at the top and bottom of the box. Nice overwintering nuc set up too.

If there are other inspection videos that folks think cover a lot (without a full frame by frame) I'd love to know about them. And mainly, I'd love to hear how you folks who have been doing this a while go through a springtime inspection efficiently. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts